LinkedIn Logo

Payroll Services Letter 05-08.1: Continuation of Pay


Payroll Services Letter 05-08.1: Continuation of Pay

Number: PS05-08.1

Date: April 17, 2005 (Revised May, 2009)

Subject: Continuation of Pay

Category: Leave

Reference: PS05-08, Subject: Continuation of Pay, dated April 17, 2005. PS05-08.1 supersedes PS05-08. Please replace that letter with this one.

This letter describes new procedures for handling Continuation of Pay (COP).

- - - -

Effective April 17, 2005, Payroll Liaisons and Timekeepers must provide information to the Payroll Services Division on employees who are placed on COP. The new procedure is part of the HHS payroll system conversion to the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS).

The DFAS payroll system has additional requirements for processing COP. When employees are placed on COP, the date of the injury and injury number must be submitted with the time and attendance (T&A) data. Currently, this information cannot be submitted on the HHS T&A record. Timekeepers will be instructed to forward the date of injury and injury number to their Payroll Liaison each pay period an employee is placed on COP. Payroll Liaisons must send the information via Peregrine ticket to the Payroll Customer Service Team. Use the Peregrine classification – Category: LEAVE Subcategory: LEAVE ADJUSTMENT.

Note: DFAS describes the injury number as a four-digit field, which comprises the month and date (MMDD) of the actual injury date.

The Peregrine ticket must include the following information:

  • Name
  • SSN
  • Employee ID (optional)
  • Date of Injury
  • Number of hours worked on the day of injury (if applicable)

The first line of the description field must indicate COP and the date of injury.

The Payroll Customer Service Team will input the data in the DFAS system. It is necessary that the COP information be updated before the COP hours submitted on the T&A are accepted in the DFAS payroll system.

For further assistance or for questions regarding the information in this letter, please contact your Customer Service Team in the Payroll Services Division.