124.00 Commissioned Officer Effectiveness Report (COER)-Includes Performance Evaluation - Remove negative comments from evaluation report
Recommendation of the Board for Correction on Request of: xxxx xxx xxx, Case No.096-88
Xxxxxxxxx filed an application with the Board for Correction dated xxx xx, 1988, in which she requested the Board to change the comment in Section IV of her xxxxxxxxx 1987 COER from would recommend officer for promotion "only with additional supporting reasons" to "this officer is fully qualified for promotion."
The merits of Xxxxxxxxx request have been reviewed on the basis of the documentation received. The Board's Proceedings contain the relevant findings concerning her request
After consideration of the record, the Board concluded that the findings were not sufficient to justify changing the COER recommendation on Xxxxxxxxx qualifications for promotion. Accordingly, the Board recommends that her request be denied. Approval of this recommendation requires no change in her record.
I certify that this recommendation reflects the views and action taken by the Board on Xxxxxxxxx request, as contained in Attachment 1, and that it has been concurred with by the Board members.
I certify, further, that Attachment 2 includes all of the documentation received on Xxxxxxxxx request and that, in addition to applicable statutes, regulations and policies, it has been considered by the Board in arriving at this recommendation.
Finally, I certify that a quorum of Board members was present on xxxxxx xx, 1989, when her request was considered.
If you approve, please sign below.
(1) Board Proceedings
(2) Case File including all documentation received
Reviewed and Approved:
I hereby approve the recommendation of the Board for Correction on the request of Xxxxxxxxx received and considered in accordance with the authority of 10 U.S.C. 1552 and 42 U.S.C. 213a (12).
Wilford J. Forbush
Deputy Assistant Secretary for Health Operations and
Director, Office of Management
BOARD ACTION ON THE REQUEST OF: XXXXXXXXX
A. FINDINGS AND CONCLUSIONS:
The Board found that:
- XXXXXX had available to her information on the Supervisory position she was selected to fill. She had a responsibility to judge for herself whether she had the qualifications for the position rather than rely upon the assurances Xxxxxxxxx gave her.
- Xxxxxxxxx had access to Xxxxxxxxx personnel file, her formal application for the position and prior knowledge of her work experiences. As the xxxxxx xx xxxxx and selecting official, xxx also had knowledge of the position to be filled. xxx had no reason to doubt Xxxxxxxxx ability to perform well in the position given xx background in xx, xxx and xxxxx nursing.
- While Xxxxxxxxx could have benefited from more management initiated training in order to perform better in the job, the record was clear that xx personal priorities were to work on xx xxxxxx degree, and that xx felt that xx did not have enough time for workshops and courses.
- Although Xxxxxxxxx questioned the part of the COER not recommending her for promotion, she had not questioned COER ratings Item 9: Response to Crises or Item 12: Supervisorv Skills. For Item 9, she received a "B" rating: "In crises, performance is somewhat less effective than at other times." For Item 12, she also received a "B" rating: "Sometimes makes supervisory decisions which complicate management problems." These two ratings were the bases for not recommending her for promotion.
The Board concluded that the findings in the record were not sufficient to justify changing the COER recommendation on Xxxxxxxxx qualifications for promotion.
The Board recommends that Xxxxxxxxx request be denied. Approval of this recommendation requires no change in xx record
Anyone wishing to obtain an un-redacted copy of any of the decisions should submit a request for the un-redacted decision under the federal Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). Such requests should be directed to the PHS FOIA Office, Parklawn Building, Room 17 A-46, 5600 Fishers Lane, Rockville, MD 20857; telephone 301-443-5252; fax 301-443-0925.