The Division of FOIA and Records Management Services processes FOIA requests and appeals to ensure compliance with federal laws and HHS Freedom of Information regulations and policies. The Division provides consultation services to HHS public health agencies and responds to all requests for records in the custody and control of any components of the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, and PSC.
Services offered include:
- Tracking appeals and requests from receipt to completion
- Coordinating searches for responsive records
- Advising regional staff and/or other officials who administer the FOIA
- Negotiating with requesters on the scope and/or time needed to process requests
- Reviewing documents for responsiveness and public disclosure
- Interpreting case law and Department of Justice guidance on complex disclosure issues
- Drafting response letters
- Drafting final responses on appeal issues
95% of requests and appeals will be logged into the tracking system and interim letters generated to the requesters/appellants identifying the assigned case numbers and office contact information within one (1) business day of receipt.
95% of requests and appeals will be controlled to reach appropriate Operating Divisions (OpDivs) to begin a search for and duplication of responsive records within one (1) business day of receipt.
PSC FOIA Office