Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
Processes FOIA requests and appeals, responds to all requests for records in the custody and control of for the HHS Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health and the Program Support Center, and provides consultation services to all public health agencies.
The Division of FOIA and Records Management Services processes FOIA requests and appeals to ensure compliance with federal laws and HHS Freedom of Information regulations and policies. The Division provides consultation services to HHS public health agencies and responds to all requests for records in the custody and control of any components of the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, and PSC.
Services offered include:
- Tracking appeals and requests from receipt to completion
- Coordinating searches for responsive records
- Advising regional staff and/or other officials who administer the FOIA
- Negotiating with requesters on the scope and/or time needed to process requests
- Reviewing documents for responsiveness and public disclosure
- Interpreting case law and Department of Justice guidance on complex disclosure issues
- Drafting response letters
- Drafting final responses on appeal issues